MISSION of the Customs and Excise
The Customs authorities are in charge of protecting the society, promoting the international trade with the control of external borders and ensuring the security of the logistics chain.
We commit ourselves to:
- Ensuring the citizens' security
- Protecting the European Community's and its Member States' financial interests, with the collection and the checking of the import duties, the excise duties and the VAT at importation.
- Protecting the European Community against the unfair and illicit trade and promoting the lawful economic activity.
- Increasing the European enterprises' competitiveness with up-to-date work methods, which are supported by an easily accessible electronic customs environment.
In order to carry out these tasks we work both at the national and international level with other FPS and law enforcement services, mainly in the fields of the fight against fraud, organized crime and terrorism.
The excise authorities are in charge of the collection and the control of the following products:
- Products subject to excise duty in Belgium, such as coffee and non-alcoholic drinks
- Products subject to excise duty at the European Community's level, i.e. energy products, alcohol, alcoholic drinks as well as manufactured tobacco.
For more information, see: http://fiscus.fgov.be/interfdanl/nl/site/customs_english.htm