Attention, please make an appointment to go to any of our offices.

Submitting your tax return

Submitting your 2022 tax return

  • How and when do I submit my tax return?

    You submit your tax return yourself

    • In paper format: we must receive your tax return by 30 June 2022 at the latest.
    • Via Tax-on-web, for which you have until 15 July 2022.

    You receive a proposed simplified tax return

    Check your details carefully.

    • Are your details correct and complete? You do not need to take any action. You will receive your assessment notice automatically.
    • Are your details incorrect or incomplete? Amend your details:
      • either via the paper reply form, which must reach us by 30 June 2022 at the latest;
      • or via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web), by 15 July 2022 at the latest.

    You have your tax return filled in by an employee from the Federal Public Service (FPS) for Finance

    You instruct a accountant to fill in your tax return

    • The accountant (or tax advisor) instructed by you can submit your tax return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) by 28 October 2022 at the latest.
    • Important: if you instruct an accountant to amend your proposed simplified tax return, you have until 15 July 2022 (via MyMinfin).
  • Need some help?

    Try the online tax return: it’s simple and fast

    Do you intend to submit a paper tax return? Did you know that your online tax return via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) is largely pre-completed? Moreover, did you know that Tax-on-web provides you with step-by-step guidance on filling in certain codes by even calculating the amount to be filled in?

    More information

    See our FAQ

    You will also find more information in the various sections of the website: Woning (Housing and accommodation)Gezin (Family)Vervoer (Transport)Belastingvoordelen (Tax reliefs).

    See the explanatory document for tax returns

    More information

    Determine whether the financial resources of a person allow you to to support them financially and mention it in your return

    Use our application to calculate net resources.

    Use the application for foreign income

    Do you receive foreign income from France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands or Spain? Use our application to determine:

    • how you must declare this income in your tax return (personal income tax return);
    • the country in which this income will be taxed;
    • whether this income is subject to municipal tax.

    Get in touch with your 'centre Particuliers'

    Do you have a question about your tax return or your proposed simplified tax return? If so, you can get in touch with your 'centre Particuliers' by telephone.

    Engage the services of an accountant

    You can engage the services of an accountant (or tax advisor) to fill in and send your tax return.

  • How can I amend my tax return?

    Have you submitted your tax return but realised that you have made a mistake or forgotten to provide some details?

    Did you submit your tax return via Tax-on-web?

    Until 15 July 2022, you can amend your tax return yourself via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) (once only).

    Did you submit a paper tax return?

    Contact your 'centre Particuliers' as soon as possible to correct the mistake.

  • How can I file the tax return of a deceased person?

  • I have not yet received my pension statement. What should I do?

  • Can I request more time to submit my tax return?


    Do you think you will not be able to file your tax return in due time? It is possible, in exceptional cases, to obtain an extension of the time limit to file your tax return, on the following conditions:

    • Your application should be justified by ‘force majeure’ or by ‘valid reasons’. The event should be unforeseeable or unavoidable, and should be the result of circumstances beyond your control. Example:
      • you are seriously ill
      • your documents have disappeared as a result of theft or fire
    • Your application has to reach us within the normal time limit to file your tax return:
      • 30 June 2022 for a paper tax return
      • 15 July 2022 for a tax return filed in MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)

    Problems with your identity card or PIN code

    Do you have a problem with your identity card or PIN code and are you unable to access MyMinfin (Tax-on-web)? In that case an extension of the time limit to file your tax return cannot be granted. We advise you to use itsme®.

    How to submit an application

    If you want to apply for an extension of the time limit to file your tax return, call your 'centre Particuliers'. You will need to provide the following information:

    • your last name, first name and national number
    • the method used to file your tax return: paper form or Tax-on-web
    • the reasons justifying your application
    • the date of the requested extension of the time limit

    Your tax office will examine your application and inform you of the decision to accept or reject it.

    If you do not obtain an extension of the time limit

    If you do not obtain an extension of the time limit and if you fail to submit the tax return in due time, you are still requested to file your tax return as soon as possible.

  • How can I anonymously simulate the calculation of my taxes?

    You can do this online via Tax-Calc.
  • How do I check if I have submitted my tax return correctly?

    • Go to and log in.
    • Click on ‘Mijn aangifte / Mijn voorstel van vereenvoudigde aangifte’ (My tax return / My proposed simplified tax return).
  • I ‘bought back’ my years of study in order to receive a higher pension. How do I declare the contributions that I have paid?

    Declare the amount of the contributions paid in 2021 in code 1257/2257 (box IV, A, 17). That amount is stated on a certificate that you will receive from the Federal Pension Service.

    You will then benefit from a tax deduction.

    Are you a business leader, declare the amount in code 1405/2405, (box XVI, 9).

    Are you self-employed? Declare the amount

    • either in code 1632/2632 (box XVII, 7).
    • or in code 1656/2656 (box XVIII, 9).

    More information about ‘buying back’ study years on the website of the Federal Pension Service

  • How do I declare the withholding tax withheld on my exempted dividends?

    You can set off the withholding tax withheld on your exempted dividends against your personal income tax.

    To do so, enter the withholding tax withheld on those exempted dividends in code 1437/2437.

    You can only offset withholding tax in respect of a maximum of EUR 800 in dividends. Since the maximum rate for withholding tax is 30%, you can therefore recover a maximum of EUR 240 of withholding tax deducted (EUR 800 x 30%).  It is therefore best to opt for the exemption of dividends to which the highest withholding tax rate has been applied.

    More information about the exemption for dividends

  • What happens if I submit my tax return late?

    You may receive a fine or a tax increase.

    In addition, we may initiate the ex-officio assessment procedure. With an ex-officio assessment, we have four years to calculate your tax or change the calculation.